Cate Blanchett is just the latest in a long line of not all that attractive women to play men in movies. When life beats you with an ugly stick maybe taking running with it and running with it is the way to go. Cate is going to star as Bob Dylan in her latest movie, perhaps Mr Magoo will be doing the voice overs for the sake of authenticity.
We have a short list of actors and actresses that can already be confused as the opposite gender and would make excellent actors or actresses:
- Kathy Burke: A bit obscure, but she could easily double for Steve Buscemi. Anyone who can be confused with him deserves to be number one on this list
- Oprah Winfrey: She could play the heavy in a movie, who would want to mess with her.
- Queen Latifah: See Oprah Winfrey above, plus she already likes girls already and it wouldn’t be much of a stretch. Besides I’m pretty sure she could beat up most ninety percent of the male actors in Hollywood.
- Rhea Pearlman: Rhea Pearlman from cheers could out goomba Joe Pesci in a well written mob movie.
- Lili Taylor: She looks like Janeane Garofalo without the good looks, she could easily play a young Martin Sheen.
- Whoopi Goldberg: She could probably go both ways, either a horror movie or a gangsta – either way she’d give me nightmares.
- Tilda Swinton: Not sure she’s female to begin with, she could play Leondardo DiCaprio in a Titanic prequel.
- Shelly Duvall: In the shining not sure if she was scarier looking or Jack with an axe.
- Sara Jessica Parker: Her petite horse face could work it’s way into playing for the opposite team.
- Kirsten Dunst: She could play the lead role in whatever movie horse girl number one starred in.
Kathy Burke – she’s a man baby!
Honorable Mention: Andy Dick could be a woman, or at least fights like one if John Lovitz can beat the snot out of you.
Here are some notably less than attractive woman playing men…
Hillary Swank in Boys Don’t Cry
Gwyneth Paltrow in Shakespeare in Love
Julie Andrews in Victor Victoria
Felicity Huffman playing a man playing a woman in Trans America
True in most of these cases the women were more often than not playing women masquerading as men, but it is rumored that in the Bob Dylan biopic he reveals himself to be none other than Melissa Etheridge…