Thinking about getting a tattoo?

TattooAt the end of the day guys would stick a fork in their head to impress women, and girls will sometimes date world class losers just to upset their parents. I’m not saying not to get a tattoo – I think it looks good on strippers. I guess you should really consider this it’s like getting married, both cause pain and hard to get out of Here are some things you might want to consider before paying for a tattoo…

Who Has Tattoos?
The results suggest that 24 percent of Americans between 18 and 50 are tattooed; that’s almost one in four. Two surveys from 2003 suggested just 15 percent to 16 percent of U.S. adults had a tattoo. This is a trend that is on the rise, but remember so was disco. Trends have a way of changing and what is cool one day is bell bottom pants the next day. If you want one that’s awesome, but if you are just doing one to be cool remember this is a tattoo. You can take change out of no longer trendy clothes without burning your skin with a laser.

Who Has Tattoos

What if You Change Your Mind?
The American Academy of Dermatology reports tattoo regret is common in the United States. Among a group of 18- to 50-year-olds surveyed in 2004 17 percent of those considered getting their tattoo removed. Dermatologists typically charge by the square inch for the laser treatment. By the time most people are done they can expects to pay more than $2,200. The treatment usually takes about 10 sessions several weeks apart, each lasting less than a minute.

The least destructive removal process uses a state-of-the-art laser that targets the pigment in the tattoo. It goes through the skin without damaging it and hits the pigment depending on which wavelength and which color you have, and it blows it into small pieces.

The tattoo ink is then reabsorbed into the body through the lymphatic system. The process must be completed over several sessions in order to protect the skin from damage.

Patients with bigger tattoos are sometimes given the option to use a topical anesthetic, but that adds to the cost.

Dr. Scott Karempelis of Atlanta Dermatology says “there’s no guarantee that you won’t have a scar. “Scarring is your major risk. Almost everyone gets a little bit of discoloration, a little lighter, a little darker for a while. But in most cases if you wait a year, you cannot see where it was done initially.”

• Laser surgery. This is the most effective way to reduce the appearance of a tattoo. Pulses of laser light pass through the top layer of skin and the energy of the light is absorbed by the pigment in the tattoo. This process creates a very low grade of inflammation and allows your body to process the small areas of altered pigment. You may require as many as 12 treatments over a year to lighten the tattoo, and the treatment might not completely erase it.
  • Dermabrasion. The tattoo area is chilled until numb, and the skin that contains the tattoo is sanded down to deeper levels. This generally isn’t painful, but it may leave a scar.
  • Surgical removal. A doctor can surgically cut out the tattoo and stitch the edges back together, but this can leave a scar.

tattoo removal

More on Tattoo Removal

What are the Risks?

There are health risks associated with both the removal and application of tattoos, they are very small and dealing with a professional licensed studio is very safe.

• Blood-borne diseases. If the equipment used to create your tattoo is contaminated with the blood of an infected person, you can contract a number of serious blood-borne diseases. These include hepatitis C, hepatitis B, tetanus, tuberculosis and HIV β€” the virus that causes AIDS.
  • Skin disorders. Your body may form bumps called granulomas around tattoo ink, especially if your tattoo includes red ink. Tattooing can also cause areas of raised, excessive scarring (keloids), if you’re prone to them.
  • Skin infections. Tattoos can lead to local bacterial infections. Typical signs and symptoms of an infection include redness, warmth, swelling and a pus-like drainage. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has linked clusters of potentially serious antibiotic-resistant skin infections to unlicensed tattoo artists who don’t follow proper infection-control procedures. Some antibiotic-resistant skin infections can lead to pneumonia, bloodstream infections and a painful, flesh-destroying condition called necrotizing fasciitis.
  • Allergic reactions. Tattoo dyes, particularly red dye, can cause allergic skin reactions, resulting in an itchy rash at the tattoo site. This may occur even years after you get the tattoo.
  • MRI complications. Rarely, tattoos or permanent makeup may cause swelling or burning in the affected areas during magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) exams. In some cases β€” such as when a person with permanent eyeliner has an MRI of the eye β€” tattoo pigments may interfere with the quality of the image.
  • Anesthetic complications. A tattoo on the lower back can make an epidural risky (the painkiller that makes child birth bearable) and if you are a woman who might have kids, you will may have to do it the old fashioned way.

More on Health Risks

Bad Translations
If you don’t speak chinese or some other chicken scratch language, do some research first. That scribble scrabble could turn out to be something you really don’t want to have on your body.
bad translations

Use a Spell Checker
If you can’t spell bring a friend who can. Like everything else you get what you pay for, ask the person doing the tattoo to spell the words you want permanently etched into your body.
bad spelling

bad spelling

Think Long Term
Remember you are likely to outgrow your tattoo at some point. Nothing screams trailer trash like a grandma with tats – think how this thing is going to look when you shrivel up.
outgrown tattoo

outgrown tattoo

outgrown tattoo

outgrown tattoo

Use Good Judgement
Alcohol and a giggling friend are not really your friends when it comes to selecting a tattoo. Sleep on it, try not to do something that seems too funny.

Use good judgement

Use good judgement

Use good judgement

Use good judgement

Avoid the Creepy Factor
Unless you plan on never applying for a job for the rest of your life try to avoid the tattoo that will relegate you to circus freak. Some tattoos are going to limit your available dating pool to a very small sub section of the population. You might need to date, apply for a job, or not scare small children at some point down the road – bear this in mind.

Tattoos that are too weird

Tattoos that are too weird

Tattoos that are too weird

Tattoos that are too weird

Tattoos that are too weird

Tattoos that are too weird

Tattoos that are too weird

It Will Hurt
Remember if you can’t handle pain, you might not want some anesthetic of one form or another. It does hurt, but if you’re a guy it shouldn’t be a big deal, however the size of the tattoo will play a factor.

Jackie’s First TattooFunny bloopers R us

It’s really up to the person, personally I see it as littering some decent real estate. They do make a chick look like she’d be more willing to do bad things – so that part is cool.
Tattoos can litter a good thing

Read on for the 10 biggest tattoo mistakes.

News Category: Humor, News, Review

134 Responses to “Thinking about getting a tattoo?”

1. there are many people that practice douchebaggery when getting a tattoo, but that is all on them. I am a female with a few tattoos and they are all of deep personal meaning. Each one is a landmark in my life and they remind me to live and love life as it comes. You can never regret something that you are trying to commemorate. to each his own.

layla on 18 Feb 2010 at 8:47 pm
  2. Your a ****, haha: “if your a guy it should be no problem”
    what the helll?!!?! lol.
    Ima female! I lovee it! πŸ˜€
    geesshh idiott πŸ˜‰

Anna on 02 Mar 2010 at 11:54 pm
  3. The old lady with the Jimi Hendrix signature tattoo looked beautiful. I know as a young person in this day and age being old and having wrinkles is meant to be gross, you obviously think so with your description of her as “shriveled”. I think she looked beautiful, I have worried that when I am older I will not like my tattoos so much, but thanks for confirming for me, they look just as wonderful on women of any age and I will love them forever. So thank you for that, much skin to fill.

Megan on 05 Mar 2010 at 4:19 am
  4. I’m a woman and I didn’t so much as squirm when I got my tattoo. I love tattoo #1, my girl friends love it, and my guy friends adore it (not that I did it to impress anyone). My 2nd tat is coming this summer. I’ve been planning it for years and it’s going to look amazing.

Juanita on 02 May 2010 at 8:46 pm
  5. Jerome,
    I am honored that you replied to my post when there are so many trolls out there! Where is this scientifically backed article on women’s pain tolerance? I’m a total tranny, so it does not matter to me if genetic women are less able to handle pain. I hear that scientific studies also prove that Jews are less tolerant to pain as well, this might be something worth looking into.

Sharon on 02 Jun 2010 at 12:48 am
  6. you are waste. if don’t like tattoos that’s fine, but don’t spreading your hatred unnecessary.

judah on 21 Jun 2010 at 3:50 am
  7. Wow… I really loved the part that said “It does hurt, but if you’re a guy it shouldn’t be a big deal….” Sexist? Maybe a tattoo that says you are sexist and judgemental would really become you.

Donna on 15 Aug 2010 at 11:07 pm
  8. i 100% dissagree with the site, ppl get tattoo for many reasons, religion purposes and tribal ranking to proving adulthood.

i am a artist myself, i turn down tattoo or ideas that are silly or dumb. i simply dont tattoo art work that is not on my level.

is a new age, tattoo is a life style and attitude. ones tattoo can define and explain about themselves alot. stupid tattoo r for stupid ppl so why bother.

let the rest of us enjoy art.

sam on 21 Oct 2010 at 10:26 pm
  9. i personally think this website is completely true. alot of people do it to be cool, or fit in… most people dont think about the consequences their taking. i think getting a tatoo is supposed to symbolize something that has scarred you forever. i have many ideas, but i’m only getting a tat because it’s going to represent my strength. i also think though, that people have a right to do whatever they want with themselves and their bodies, but our bodies are God’s Temple.We are abusing the most beautiful thing.

Bailey on 09 Nov 2010 at 3:50 pm
  10. Hi, WOW!!! You certainly comment on what a lot of people aren’t game enough to. I personally don’t have any tattoos for some of the reasons you listed. My son has a tattoo which I am quite happy with and our friends son has some tattoos that are great looking pics however a bit much for me (my personal view of course), you can check them out on http://www.teampinoy.us/. I think it’s great that there are sights out there that give advice on what to look for etc when deciding to get one.

M Hinton on 10 Nov 2010 at 5:25 am
  11. I see nothing wrong with those older people with the tattoos. Women can also take tattoo pain very well. I took my tattoos much better than my 3 guys friends did with theirs, and I can’t wait for the next one.

Sonja with tats on 16 Mar 2011 at 5:20 pm
  12. […] little did her parents know that she would eventually tattoo nearly 100% of her body (like other retarded tattoo seekers). When tattoos weren’t enough, Maria decided it was time to go […]

Catholicism turns woman into vampire on 04 Apr 2011 at 3:33 pm
  13. Yea I used to work in a nursing home and I saw some pretty ugly tats ..yuck!! never- the- less it did not detour my nieces. Oh god.. the old green saggy blahhhyuck

Becky on 07 Apr 2011 at 5:31 pm
  14. “No one is asking you! If you don’t think you have balls enough to wear a tattoo, don’t get one, but don’t try making excuses for yourself, by knocking the one who does.”

Sailor Jerry

mkfoster17 on 25 May 2011 at 4:45 pm
  15. this just justifies my reasons for getting a tattoo or 10 πŸ™‚ as long as you feel strongly about it and know your opinion isnt gonna change in 50 yrs

Mark on 31 May 2011 at 6:31 pm
  16. there are many great points here, but as soon as i read about how you call chinese and other languages “chicken scratch” languages, I was mortified. yes one should translate properly or bare the consequences, but just because the language looks different to you does not give you the right to belittle it. It also makes all your other arguments look like that of a small minded bigot, rather than valuable information.

Mary on 11 Aug 2011 at 10:53 am
  17. Revia purchase online 50mg ups shipping

cheaprevia on 11 Sep 2011 at 1:30 am
  18. want to buy Revia saturday shipping

cheaprevia on 11 Sep 2011 at 9:39 am
  19. This is one of the most appalling web pages I have ever found. Not only is it very badly-written, sexist and chauvinistic, it’s also narrow-minded, judgmental, one-sided and just totally, totally ignorant of anything to do with good manners and accepting other people’s needs or ideas. Live and let live. If a person can’t make a mistake, they can’t make anything!

Phil on 18 Oct 2011 at 1:20 pm
  20. So, as the article goes… not bad. It’s sad that no matter where you go a read a article and post, there’s the inevitable ” sexist” or “racist” comments that ALWAYS seem to COMPLETELY overshadow the main topics and points. For the record.. ANYONE who feels the need to jump in and dredge MULTIPLE posts on “sexism” or whatever there rant may be just makes themselves look more ignorant then the person who wrote there “one liner” joke in the first place! Now that that’s outta the way.. anyone looking or thinking of getting a tattoo REALLY has to consider the following.. WHAT DO YOU WANT?, WHAT.. IF ANYTHING.. DOES YOUR IDEA OF A PIC MEAN TO YOU? ..WHERE ON YOUR BODY DO YOU WANT TO HAVE IT DONE ON?? ..but MOST IMPORTANTLY … WHO DO I HAVE DO IT !!??? Do your Research!!! Ask around in your town! And if after you’ve done these things and you still have any doubts.. then maybe a tattoo isn’t for you! Same thing with trying to figure out who would be best for the art you want . If after checking out the tatto shops in your town , your not a 100% satisfied with a artist , then you need to start checking some out somewhere outta town . I personally have 4 . Love them all except 1 . It was done by a tatto artist student and could have deff been done better . I can have it fixed cuz its a trible style , but if it was a different kind i may not be so lucky . And forget all the thoughts about ” what about when your 50 + ” and regretting your decission later when your older. Trust me.. by the time your in your 50’s+ ..your gunna have, if any, plenty of other, more important things that you’re probably gunna regret a lot more then some silly tattoo on your arm. Most people are a different person several times in there life, as much as they themselves may not see it or admit it. I know I’m a totally different person now then I was in my 30’s.. n my 30’s was a bit different then when I was 20. It’s called “growing up ” and maturing.. most of the time it’s for the better. I’d feel sorry for anyone who couldn’t say the same thing. It’s not to say that it took me 40 years to become mature( tho my wife may agree lol) it’s just to say .. time changes ..and so do people. More to the point tho.. tattoos are no different then a lot of other decision’s you can make. There are plenty other decisions that you can make that can have far more of a impact on your life, in the short term.. and for the long hall! And just treat this as you would from buying a car or a house.. or anything. And I suppose anyone who doesn’t pay enough attention to get there tattoo spelled right, or to make sure the tattoo shop there in has never had a health or code violation.. deserves everything they get! Whether it’s a bad tattoo.. to hepatitis C… so be it! And anyone who posts after me disagrees with this statement, is obviously one of those people who either contributed to the whole ” child proofing ” everything. What happened to the good ole days of the ” sand box ” rules!?? To quote one of my favorite comedians.. ” the kid that was to dumb to keep his finger outta the light socket, after being warned and spanked multiple times, doesn’t deserve to grow up and have dumb ass kids of his own. You may call it mean and hateful… science calls it ” Natural Selection ” . πŸ™‚ I digress..

splatterfiend on 07 Jan 2012 at 11:56 am
  21. Hey there! This post couldn’t be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me of my previous room mate! He always kept talking about this. I will forward this page to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Many thanks for sharing!

seo on 31 Jan 2012 at 12:28 pm
  22. Well the numbers make sense to me 1 in 4 people are retarded and 24% of Americans have tattoos gee what a coincidence. Well one thing is for sure anyone who has tattoos are unattractive no matter what other physical features they have they’re just plain ugly, even if a woman is perfect in every way a tattoo ruins the beauty it’s a real shame to see that tattoos are in fashion right now.

Mark on 21 Mar 2012 at 11:42 pm
  23. This is what you call your web-site? People of intelligence know that the R-word is as offensive as the N-word and other racial slurs. It is very offensive to people with intellectual challenges and their families. Use your brain power and some creativity to come up with another way of expressing what you mean.

Terry on 10 Apr 2012 at 12:39 pm
  24. I have four tattoos. Been a few years and im still happy with all of them. I get a lot of positive comments from people. You really have to think about what you want, or in some cases don’t think at all and let the idea just come to you one day. Don’t get the tat ASAP, let it sit in your mind for a month or two and if you still like it, go for it. As for the risks, I’m fine, my friends are fine, my mom and dad are fine. Your just as likely going to be given the wrong medication by a doctor.

yessir on 25 Apr 2012 at 2:26 am
  25. I don’t know why I feel the need to respond to this article, but I’m doing it anyway (I guess I’m just THAT bored). I’m a female who just graduated with a degree from X University. I have four tattoos (both wrists, my right shoulder, and the inside of my bottom lip– in my mouth you pervs.) I was googling ideas for my next tatoo idea, and came across this posting. I’m always amused by people’s opinions and apparent need to prove themselves, and/or defend, and/or attack others. I’m no different considering I stated I have a degree (my reason being I want to make it known I’m “intelligent” before I get attacked for supposedly being an incompetent human being– or “retard” as many of you like to say). Point it, this attitude disgusts me. Sure there are “stupid” tattoos, poorly done ones, etc, and yes, it is nice that someone cares to make an article giving warning to make sure you know what you’re getting into. However, there is no need for sexist remarks. Sure some think women with tattoos are trashy, but that doesn’t make them right. I could tell you I’m a 25 year old virgin with tattoos, or an 18 year old slut who has slept with 100 men, who also has tattoos. Having a tattoo doesn’t define your character. For all those who get defensive, my own husband hates tattoos, but he accepts the fact that I have them. Why must you all be so shallow? Beauty fades. Skin gets damaged. I could tell you I have a huge scar across my torso from a burn I suffered because I risked my life to save my little sister from a burning building. Does that make my “worth” less (for those of you who look at women as cars or real estate)? If it doesn’t, then why does a tattoo on my back in remembrance of my younger brother who died at 5 years old make me a slut, or “worthless”? As for pain tolerance, what about the fact that men are taught to “be strong” and women are taught to cry. I wasn’t bothered by my tattoos. Sex (gender is prescribed) has nothing to do with it. This article and the responses that follow are a clear indication that our society is lacking. Obviously words like “tolerance”, “respect”, and “decency” have fallen out of our vocabulary. Do what you want to your own bodies, but leave others alone. If someone wants to get a monkey tattooed on their stomach, including their bellybutton as part of the rear, let them. As I said, I appreciate the warnings in this article regarding awareness and actualling sitting down to think about what you are doing, but everything else is unnecessary. It’s cliche, but “treat others how you would like to be treated”.

Rabbit on 14 Jun 2012 at 7:42 pm
  26. “If you’re a guy, pain shouldn’t be a problem”? Hahaha. I tattooed the inside of my upper arm, and my tattoo guy said most guys fainted when he tattooed them there. He asked me if it didn’t hurt, and it did, it pinched a bit.

Lisa on 30 Jun 2012 at 11:25 am
  27. Women with tats are a major turn off, they look like whores whether they are one or not!

Dan on 19 Jan 2013 at 9:38 am
  28. Dan,
    Why should women with tattoos care whether or not they turn you on? It’s not like they have to choose you to spend the rest of their lives with, nor do you have to wake up next to them for the rest of yours. My husband and I have been getting tattoos together for years and look forward to many more. Instead of blasting women who do get inked, how about just going about your merry way chasing women who are more to your liking? I believe that would be much more productive for all involved.

Cheers. πŸ™‚