In a poll of hiring managers a few weeks ago, Accountemps (www.accountemps.com), a worldwide accounting-and-finance staffing firm based in Menlo Park, Calif., asked them, “What is the wackiest or most unusual pitch you’ve heard from a job seeker about why he or she should get the job?”
From the job hunter:
1. “…told me to hire him because he was allergic to unemployment.”
2. “… said that we should hire him because he would make a great addition to our softball team.”
3. “…said he should get the job because he had already applied three times and he felt that it was now his turn to be hired.”
4. “…said we had nice benefits, which was good because he was going to have to take a lot of leave in the coming year.”
5. “… drafted a press release announcing that we had hired him.”
6. “… explained that he had no relevant experience for the job he was interviewing for, but his friend did.”
7. “… delivered his entire cover letter in the form of a rap song.”
8. “…told me she wanted the position because she wanted to get away from working with people.”
9. “…brought his mother to the interview and let her do all the talking.”
10. “…when our company moved to Texas, gave us his resume in a ten-gallon hat.”
10 Resume Blunders:
1. … attached a letter from her mother.
2. … used pale blue paper with teddy bears printed around the border.
3. … explained a three-month gap in employment by saying that he was getting over the death of his cat.
4. … specified that his availability to work Fridays, Saturdays, or Sundays is limited because the weekends are “drinking time.”
5. … included a picture of herself in a cheerleading uniform.
6. … drew a picture of a car on the outside of the envelope and said the car would be a gift to the hiring manager.
7. … listed hobbies that included sitting on a levee at night watching alligators.
8. … mentioned the fact that her sister had once won a strawberry-eating contest.
9. … stated that he works well in the nude.
10. … explained an arrest record by stating, “We stole a pig, but it was a really small pig.”
At my company we are currently hiring for a new receptionist and no one wants to do the job interviews. My only requirement is that she has a good sense of humor and is willing to put up with having rubber bands shot at her or him. I did apply to be a strip club to be a bouncer once, but they never called me back – now that would have been a good interview.