Top 10 retarded allergy treatment scams

Allergy Scams Allergies effect nearly 20% of Americans whose bodies respond abnormally to usually harmless substances in the environment. With such a wide range of allergic reactions it’s impossible for medicine to treat all of the symptoms leaving many searching for effective treatments. Here are the most dubious scam treatments you should avoid like the plague..

Ozone Therapy
Allergy Treatment Scams Ozone Therapy in treating allergy is a new addition to complementary medical treatment. At a seminar (11), it was advocated by proponents of this therapy that the allergic patient’s blood be exposed to ozone gas and then re-injected or ozone is directly insufflated rectally or vaginally.

Why it’s retarded: Sticking this ozone where the sun don’t shine could have serious adverse results, as ozone is a very well documented trigger for allergy and asthma.

Lighting up your nostrils
Allergy Treatment Scams The Medinose Plus Nasal Allergy Treatment promises it’s a band new way to treat allergic rhinitis, animal allergy, hay fever and dust mite allergy using phototherapy. This device targets your sensitive nasal passages, desensitizing them, to help defend you from the allergic reaction. The specific bandwidth of visible red light utilized in the Medinose Plus inhibits the release of histamine, slowing down or even eliminating the allergic reaction and the inflammation of your nasal passages.

Why it’s retarded: If sticking Christmas lights in your nose cured allergies my little brother would be allergy free during the holidays.

Autogenous Urine Therapy
Allergy Treatment Scams Claims of therapeutic properties of human urine go back to ancient times. In the early 1930s several medical publications claimed that a specific substance, called "proteose," is present during allergic disease. Injections of extracts of this substance were recommended for treatment of allergy, and there were reports of successes in many other diseases.

Why it’s retarded:
If you have to be convinced that drinking your own urine is not good for you there is no hope for you and you should be killed immediately and removed from the genepool.

The Neti Pot
Allergy Treatment Scams Insert the device into your nostril and rinse away, switch nostrils then repeat. The Netipot treats sinus problems, colds, allergies, and post-nasal drip and to counteract the effect of environmental pollution. Then follow up with practicing yoga and other meditative disciplines use the nasal wash to ensure free air flow through both nostrils.

Why it’s retarded:
Sticking a gravy ladle in your nose is normally reserved for drunken teenagers. The worst part is this useless allergy device is marketed by a cult (The Himalayan Institute) trying to get you to join them.
Allergy Treatment Scams

Underground climatotherapy is an alternative treatment for asthma used in Eastern Europe. It involves spending 2-3 hours a day underground in subterranean caves or salt mines over a 2-3 month period.

Why it’s retarded: If caves are so healthy why do miners have one of the shortest life expectancies of any job in the world. Nothing clears up the lungs like a musty cave full of stale air chalk full of stale gases and particulant matter.

Ionization Filters
Allergy Treatment Scams Ionizing machines emit negative electric charges into the air, and this supposedly causes airborne allergens to cluster and fall to the ground. These machines have been claimed to help hayfever and asthma sufferers by decreasing the allergen load on the nasal mucosa and lungs.

Why it’s retarded: Cheapy sub HEPA filters can only remove a very small amount of particles onto its thin-narrow collector plate attracting particles from a distance of approximately 1/8 of an inch away! If the collector plate is dirty, the plate is not able to keep collecting particles onto it and stops working. Air cleaners emit large amounts of ozone, a lung irritant that can trigger asthma attacks In fact, if you look in the instruction manual, you’ll see that it warns users to make sure that the room is unoccupied before "sanitizing" with ozone. The manual also suggests airing out the room before going back into it.

Allergy Treatment Scams NAET was proposed in 1983 by American chiropractor Devi Nampudripad, hence Nampudripad’s Allergy Elimination Technique (NAET). The premise is that allergy contrary to our current understanding, is due to some form of internal energy blockage triggered by abnormal energy fields in the brain and Nampudripad proposed that after 20 or so treatments she can reprogram the brain and body energy flow and eradicate all allergies and many other diseases affecting mankind.

Why it’s retarded: NAET has to be the most unsubstantiated allergy treatment proposed to date. It consists of combination of discredited methods of diagnosing and treating allergy such as kinesiology, Vega testing and acupuncture. However the whole issue of energy flow and electrical fields in the body being the cause of allergies has not ever been proven.

Homeopathic Cures
Allergy Treatment Scams Homeopathy was devised by Hahnemann in the last century and is based on the so-called law of similars – "like cures like". Homeopaths believe that any substance that produces symptoms similar to the symptoms under treatment would actually cure that same disease if taken in minute doses. Treatments are usually individualized for the specific patient and not the disease.

Why it’s retarded: Only crazy people make up their own religions, force him to pick one or the other or convert to Jewish Muslim.

Chiropractic Care
Allergy Treatment Scams A craniosacral therapy session involves the therapist placing their hands on the patient, which they state allows them to tune into what they call the craniosacral system. By gently working with the spine, the skull and its cranial sutures, diaphragms, and fascia, the restrictions of nerve passages are said to be eased, the movement of CSF through the spinal cord can be optimized, and misaligned bones are said to be restored to their proper position.

Why it’s retarded:
A back rub will not cure your allergies to dust mites no matter how soothing it may be. Going to a chiropractor for allergy relief is like taking your car to a flower shop and hoping for a miracle. If you’re gonna blow cash on a rubdown you should at least get a happy ending.
Anti-Allergen Bedding
Allergy Treatment Scams In 1982 the last good Lucas film was made and depressed about his failing marriage he committed suicide. Like the fake McCartney a double was selected to carry on the franchise. Sadly the imposter Lucas isn’t really all that creative and comes up with some really stupid stuff.

Why it’s retarded
: Studies show that the covers have little effect, at least by themselves, on a person’s symptoms, apparently because there are so many other sources of dust.
Tougher anti-allergy strategies – such as stripping out carpeting, removing most of the furniture in a bedroom and doing rigorous regular cleaning – can be impractical.

Here are some allergy tests you might want to avoid also.

News Category: Retarded, Science

44 Responses to “Top 10 retarded allergy treatment scams”

1. I have a neti pot, and it works. It was prescribed to me by my doctor as a potential alternative to surgery. Three years later I am surgery free and (almost) allergy free, but 99% better than before. To call this legitimate natural treatment retarded is, well, retarded… suggest the author try this product out before making such ridiculous claims

Mark Johnson on 28 Nov 2008 at 4:13 pm
  2. Yeah the neti pot thing, even though it has new age yoga roots, actually works quite well. Doctors (real ones) recommend them all the time in both neti pot form and other more modern forms. And there are actual studies to back them up. Go do a search on “nasal irrigation”.

Charlie on 19 Dec 2008 at 3:37 pm
  3. Yeah, I agree with the above two…the NetiPot works. I got one because I have sinus issues and it was recommended to me by my doctor and it works.

spiritkittykat on 21 Dec 2008 at 2:55 pm
  4. The NETI pot works. Salt water is proven to discourage bacterial growth. And the process does flush out mucous and make dried out sinuses feel better. I had more success with the Neti pot than I did with expensive allergy drugs.

Putting a great item on a list like this makes me wonder about the credibility of the rest of the list.

calico on 22 Dec 2008 at 3:17 pm
  5. The author should do more studies before he degrades practices that have been working for 5000 years.Example:neti potuse..Hymalayan Institute is not a cult,homeopathy is a true science that works precisely,when prescribed by the right homeopath;.

henri chero on 08 Apr 2009 at 1:58 pm
  6. The Institute is a cult, and you are clearly blinded by your nostril draining brain control neti pot. As fast as you can cover your head in tinfoil to prevent the neti pot rays from controlling your mind.

Jerome on 08 Apr 2009 at 10:10 pm
  7. I have been using natural remedies for allergies and have found a product from China that works unbelievably on my allergies. No side effects and very fast relief. I have also used homeopathic remedies for a number of conditions as have my family members. All with great success. Don’t knock things until you have tried them.

Jim on 26 Apr 2009 at 8:25 pm
  8. How chiropractic can help allergy symptoms is this: For one, it has an effect on the autonomic nervous system that can promote dilation of the bronchi and thus relieve spasm as in some asthma cases….in addition it helps promote sinus drainage and movement of lymph….Does it cure allergies? Nope!, Can it help symptoms? Yep! I have been using chiropractic on my patients for over 30 years…..By the way, it doesn’t work on everyone but it helps most people temporarily.

Jim on 26 Apr 2009 at 8:29 pm
  9. What a great site, found you after seeing red-light treatment advertised on TV.
    To your commentators
    No, chiropractic can’t help allergy unless you can show peer reviewed trials – blinded

No, neither does homeopathy, same goes, it’s a great scam to sell you distilled water at 50c/drop. I am more than happy to that for you and even charge you more – which has been shown to increase its affectedness.

salerio on 02 Jun 2009 at 2:27 pm
  10. Thanks salerio – it’s sort of sad to see people fall for this stuff and then get so passionate about defending it. I guess when you climb up the crazy tree it’s a long scary way down to reality so you keep climbing higher up grasping branches for life.

Jerome on 02 Jun 2009 at 2:47 pm
  11. The neti pot probably does work but it’s NOT needed. My grandmother has disolved salt in hot water and then put a little in your hand and snort it up your nose. Do it on both sides and voila! It works just as well as a neti pot and is free…no cult-support required.

marley on 12 Oct 2009 at 12:14 pm
  12. Whoa, before you get your panties in a wad and accuse people of climbing up the crazy tree, I’d suggest, you know, actually checking your sources. For instance, on the Neti pot: http://www.mayoclinic.org/medical-edge-newspaper-2009/jan-30a.html. While you don’t need an actual Neti pot (using a bulb syringe is just as effective) to do it, it’s still a valid tool for nasal irrigation, which is recommended by countless ENTs and allergists. You know, those who have those pesky things called degrees and actual knowledge.
    Also, one of your anti-allergen bedding studies was conducted on subjects who had ASTHMA, not allergies. It’s too bad you just decided to rely on a layman’s medical news website (who got their news from MSNBC, of all places) instead of reading, oh, you know, the actual studies, one of which says the following: “Possibly, the base-line level of Der p1 and Der f1 was too low, and consequently, the reduction in allergen exposure could only be moderate. Other studies have demonstrated much larger reductions in the concentration of Der p1.” Actually, if you read the whole discussion, you’ll see that the study leaves open the possibility that anti-allergy bedding may work in conjunction with other measures: “Our results do not preclude possible effectiveness of environmental control measures in general. Our objective was to establish the specific and isolated effect of covers for mattresses, duvets, and pillows in patients with allergic rhinitis who are allergic to house-dust-mite allergen.”
    What’s really sad is to see how you are just as passionate about defending your own mistakes as the poor chumps who fall for every quackery scam out there (homeopathy being my pick in this case). I sure hope that people with allergies aren’t paying too much attention to your list, because two out of your ten entries are flat out wrong. Congratulations on your prepubescent Wikipedia research skills….

MS on 18 Nov 2009 at 4:32 am

Nancy on 15 Dec 2009 at 5:13 pm
  14. I am a GP based in Melbourne, Australia and I recommend the neti pot to my patients all the time as I use it for my sinuses as well. My colleagues also recommend them too. I am unsure about the effectiveness of the other treatments on this site however the neti pot is medically proven.

Mayne on 22 Dec 2009 at 7:09 am
  15. You show two studies that indicate that allergy bedding doesn’t help and ignore the studies that show it does?

tim on 26 Feb 2010 at 11:58 am
  16. Ohhh, OP. You’re a silly batch, you are. Keep believing your media-spoon-fed garbage that propagates big pharma, and we’ll keep using our natural cures that work.

lol @ OP on 13 Apr 2010 at 1:30 pm
  17. Can someone comment on this Chiropractice practice here in Santa Fe, NM? The Chiropractor uses a metal machine he calls an Artho-stem. He gently taps down the spine with it. My husband and 3 other people had it done and in 12 hours their allergies were gone…no symptoms. My degree is in biology and I am amazed. I don’t subscribe to Chiropractic…..in fact I think it is dangerous. However this indeed worked….

Lorna Dyer

Lorna Dyer on 04 Jun 2010 at 7:02 pm
  18. Yeah, besides, you shouldn’t be using words that you can’t pronounce properly. The only correct pronunciation is “retaaaaahhhded”! Or, more accurately expressed by Bostoners, “Wickid retaaaaaahded”! Gheese, get it right…

ME on 08 Oct 2010 at 3:34 pm
  19. It’s funny when someone can waste their time posting negatives things on the internet to make themselves feel better. Can I ask what research have you done to disprove these alternative medicines?

Mel on 12 Oct 2010 at 5:13 pm
  20. Hi Mel. Noone needs to do research to disprove alternative medicines. The claim is being made by them and hence they must prove the claim. If I claim that the spirit of peter pan is controlling me, I have to prove it. Asking someone to disprove it is ridiculous.

doc on 13 Oct 2010 at 12:07 pm
  21. I have had sinus infections all my life. I also have lot’s of allergy’s. I started using the neti-pot a few yr’s ago and IT WORKS. So please don’t tell people it’s a scam. NO ONE COULD HAVE MY NETI-POT. Swimming in the ocean would same thing If you live near the ocean. Jackie Franklin Lou. Ky.

Jackie Franklin on 04 Nov 2010 at 7:49 pm
  22. Jerome, you are clearly not very good at research. People have been living in caves, and are living in caves. The reason miners get sick has nothing to do with living in caves or visiting caves, but everything to do with _making_ caves and much to do with the dust created in making the caves and the possibility of cave-ins from unstable caves. The neti pot has been proven to clean out sinuses by professionals conducting studies; no, it doesn’t work for everyone, but nothing works for everyone. Quinine was derived from homeopathy. Before homeopathy, the effects of quinine against malaria were attributed to its bitter taste – meaning that people used bitter tasting things to treat malaria. I think you may be stuck in that time.

Chris on 26 Mar 2011 at 8:11 am
  23. Hey fajina fuk u bra u st0dpid asenipfuk, im tehki2 ya “OP” u SO FCKN GYA NIGEH FJK U!!!

bufutkcter on 30 Mar 2011 at 9:58 pm
  24. What a clown! I use a salt ater solution applicator like neti pot IT WORKS!!

DAVID on 29 Apr 2011 at 2:40 pm
  25. While most of the stuff here is indeed nonsense, neti pots work great to relieve various sinus problems, including nasal congestion from a cold, post-nasal drip, and some allergies. There’s nothing magical about it, it’s just loosening the mucus so you can blow your nose more easily. It’s usually not good to do regularly, just when you have a specific problem where you’d be wanting to blow your nose anyway.

jp on 29 Apr 2011 at 2:52 pm
  26. Sounds like you are not open to new ideas into treaments. You sound like a medical doctor. They only subscribe pharmaceuticals, which does not cure the problem, but covers it. Or creates another problem, because of all the side effects. Keep an open mind. I disagree on all counts of your views.

pam lund on 27 Jun 2011 at 5:49 pm
  27. […] with. Personally I’m not offended by calling someone skeptarded or something retarded. As in Retardzone. Or retarded conspiracy theories. Which is a very common theme. But it’s not ubiquitous as a […]

28. You are an idiot!! Obviously, you have never tested any of these treatments. I know for a fact that many of them do indeed work. I’m surprised you havent’ been sued.

Jon on 03 Sep 2011 at 1:10 am
  29. omg can everyone please shut up about the neti pot?
    Urine therapy is the real miracle.

Jackie on 12 Sep 2011 at 12:42 pm
  30. Jackie,
    You are correct about urine therapy. It really works. You are wrong about the neti pot. I combined urine therapy and the neti pot and now I am allergy free and have a sense of smell like a german shepherd.

john on 07 Oct 2013 at 9:41 pm
  31. NAET has helped tremendously with my allergy symptoms. I no longer have ear infections, sore throats, swollen tonsils and haven’t had a cold or experienced flu symptoms in years. In the past, I couldn’t get through a single meal without needing to excuse myself to clear sinuses before I could finish eating. Now, I don’t need to take any sinus meds or use the neti or anything. I rarely encounter foods that give me sinus problems anymore. NAET has also helped me with bi-polar and depression problems, low-blood sugar and thyroid problems. Its been a long way to recovery and sometimes I almost gave up but I don’t know where I’d be today without it. I’d probably be doped up on a bunch of Rxs from mainstream drs. It has also helped ease my kid’s cravings for sugary foods, their moodiness and helped them be better students at school. This list is so misleading and obviously created in seconds by someone who knows absolutely nil about these treatments.

Anna on 26 Nov 2011 at 12:31 pm
  32. I think I just found the most retarded page either. The ignorant writer clearly knows nothing about everything. So much nonsense on this page its ridiculous! No facts, no research, just an ignorant idiot’s retarded OPINION!!

saddest webpage is this on 09 Dec 2011 at 9:45 am
  33. If you want to actually make valid points it would help your cause not to use the outdated, offensive term “retarded”. I think that just the use of that word in describing the treatments that you don’t understand shows just who is retarded here.

gigi gustin on 10 Mar 2012 at 1:36 pm
  34. WOW is all I can say about this website. I am a medical professional and I will comment on the treatments I know about. Ozone therapy and urine drinking- bad ideas. Neti pots are great when used correctly. NAET there is still mixed reviews on and I still need to do more research. I recommend using a western doctor in conjunction with any alternative health doctor you choose. This adds an element of safety in case one doctor missed something. No doctor can know everything. This way, you have a treatment team instead of one doctor. If you have severe reactions, consult a licensed physician.
    What I am concerned with is your comment on homeopathic cures when you say “Only crazy people make up their own religions, force him to pick one or the other or convert to Jewish Muslim.” For one, I treat “crazy people” and they do not deserve this type of bashing you are using in your language here. Also, this sounds very racist, and very ignorant. Remember- Christianity was a cult when it first began. I think this statement you made here really compromises your credibility in all aspects. You obviously are not part of the scientific community looking for data based evidence (the neti pot does have some scientific evidence backing it- ironic), yet you bash those not following scientific evidence (ironic again)- so what gives you the right to be so hateful about a subject you obviously know so little about, and to be so bullying in your approach?

WOW on 27 Mar 2012 at 2:14 am
  35. this is one of the most inane web pages ever. It is all personal opinion with no factual backup and it is so poorly written that it would only garner a C minus or less in an English Class. As Science – it is itself a scam.

Blue Hodag on 14 May 2012 at 9:57 am
  36. I notice you have ZERO experience with Medical Ozone, LIAR

Arthur on 12 Jun 2012 at 6:34 am
  37. A little healthy skepticism is good, but this guy has full blown paranoia. Not only does a Neti Pot (or other nasal wash techniques) work, it makes sense. Keeping the nasal passage clear of allergens, dust and excessive mucous goes a long way to minimizing symptoms and clearing up inflammation. Depending on how chronic your condition is results can be very successful. I’ll bet this guy doesn’t believe in handwashing either!

Marie on 12 Jun 2012 at 11:35 am
  38. Wow, very simple minded I see. Are you on drugs? You know the ones sold by pharmacists… who make amphetamines illegal and then hand them out like candy with no competition, until they make the same drug with a protecting group or something to renew the patent and force their addicts to switch over to that? You can control neurotransmitter release without pharmaceuticals, you know. It requires a lost art known as self control. Well, lost on you, at least. Remember, psychologically you can expect the average human being’s assumptions to be right only 25% of the time!

Patrick Henry on 09 Aug 2012 at 10:43 am

Dr.BHARATHI on 26 Mar 2013 at 12:51 am
  40. This is the perfect example of why statements on the internet have to be treated very carefully. The section on speleotherapy (reason # 5) is a total fabrication, most likely written by a deskbound troll who has never ventured out of his/her cubbyhole. Salt mines are neither gassy nor are they filled with stale air. Salt miners do not have a reduced life span. Perhaps coal miners who work in more confined, gassy mines do, but salt miners live long, healthy lives. Any medical data or evidence the troll wishes to offer up to the contrary will be welcomed. Speleotherapy is a well-established treatment that is gaining wider acceptance as the means of aerosolizing salt becomes more readily available. It doesn’t have to take place in a mine and is no different than breathing in salt laden sea air – long known to have a positive effect on pulmonary health. The author of Reason #5 suffers from an unfortunate combination of arrogance and sloth and ought to consider doing a bit more homework before making baseless pronouncements.

M. Satin on 28 Jun 2013 at 2:25 pm
  41. I could not have said it better. I was shocked to read such dismissive ignorance about an ancient and proven method to help all manor of respiratory ailments, from persistent rhinitis to cystic fibrosis. Talk about retarded, jesus.

Angela on 15 Jul 2016 at 5:18 pm
  42. Is the author even educated? An educated person checks multiple sources and does extensive research before publishing! If educated, maybe just young and …well…

TJ on 13 Jan 2015 at 12:34 pm
  43. I’m ok right now, but we get storm fronts in and stagnre pressure systems off the ocean and bam! sinuses are swollen. But it goes away..lol

Sula on 13 Nov 2015 at 11:17 pm
  44. What a stupid article. Written be an angry man-child no doubt.

Matt on 19 Sep 2016 at 8:03 pm